Our 2003-2004 project house is a two family built in 1900. The architecture is Second Empire Italianate Victorian with its typical bracketing and paneled bay details. The only thing that survived in the interior is the wide pine flooring. Everything else is new and remade to the original architectural patterns. The exterior is much the same story. The front double-door entrance and its large brackets survive but the rest is new. The exterior surfaces are very low maintenance. We wanted to make this house look like it did at the turn of the century, but with modern interior spaces and the most energy-efficient technology available. It is on a quiet dead-end with only seven other houses.
The first unit is a 1 bedroom, 1 bath open plan on the first floor. It has 700 square feet in two rooms and 700 square feet of shared basement storage. Every surface is new with lots of period accurate millwork. There is a private rear deck and one parking space. It shares a backyard garden with unit two.
The second unit is a two bedroom, 2 bath on the second and third floors. It has 1450 square feet and a very open, sunny feel. The living and dining room has an eighteen foot cathedral ceiling with skylights to the north. The third floor master suite has two windows that look out over the great room below. A ten foot high built-in bookcase hides the stairs to the third floor. It has
a private rear deck and one parking space next to the shared gardens.
- Super efficient NEW Central Air
- Super efficient NEW heat and water systems with icynene insulation for low utility bills
- NEW windows
- NEW 125 Amp electric service. ALL wiring is new with three outlets and a switched light in every room
- NEW plumbing from the ground up
- All replaced interior trim remade new from the original Victorian patterns
- All replaced walls and ceilings done with plaster (no sheetrock)
- Huge open-plan Chefs’ kitchen with granite and butcher block counters
- Mahogany breakfast bar
- All stainless GE Profile appliances with 3-year warranty
- Tile baths with Kohler fixtures
- Bedrooms have good closets with switched lighting
- Antique fir floors in all rooms except new bamboo in the Master suite and Kitchen
- All separate water, electric and gas with shutoffs and control in the unit.Super efficient NEW heat and water systems with icynene insulation for low utility bills.